Sunday 17 February 2008

Only in South Africa

Is it just me, or is there something a little disturbing about the fact that on the experiential gifts stand at CNA, "Shotgun training" is classified as "family fun" (see bottom left)? It would be an interesting family indeed that thought it a wholesome alternative to the Zoo to introduce little Johnny or Phumzile to the thrill of a powerful recoil. Admittedly, I've never fired a weapon. Maybe it is fun. In fact, there are some members of my family whom I've fantasised about introducing to a rifle, but I don't think that sort of satisfaction is included at a mere R499.00.

It can't be far off now when the marketers of these gifts look at their catalogue and see that the obvious progression of their work is to combine adventure and family fun and start offering an Advanced driving and Shooting adventure where the insatiable South African family get to race around Kyalami, Dad drunk at the wheel and Mom riding shotgun (literally) while the children fight over the grenade launcher.

Tempting, but I think I'll take the Moonlight Night Spa for One all the same.

No comments: